Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:00 AM, CDT - Draft

I mentioned Sophia’s comment to the other patient about Mommy’s tubes. It got me thinking that it was the first my idea about how she interprets this whole thing. I've been trying to grasp how the girls understand this, and it's more difficult than you might think.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I’ve been asked numerous times how the girls are doing through all of this. The answer I keep giving is something like, “Considering how bad and shocking all this is, they’re doing quite well…” That’s true, but far from complete.
Part of my problem is that they can’t exactly express how they’re feeling about it. So it’s my job to help them understand how they feel about it by explaining it in language that they can understand, without making them worry too much (or too little for that matter). Analogies help. Once we reach some understanding, showing them how to direct their emotions in a positive and healthy manner is the next step. This would all be a lot easier if I knew how to do all that for myself, but this is new for all of us.
-------------------------------------------
I never liked school and was glad to get out of it and get to work, but right now I’m wishing I’d embarked in a psychological, theological, oncological rich educational endeavor long ago. I’m sure it wouldn’t have given me all the answers, but I’d surely have been better prepared for this. Then again, who knew we’d be facing this? Oh, maybe that’s where the theology comes into play...

No comments:

Post a Comment