Thursday, May 3, 2012


A Sleepy Friday
Written Apr 28, 2012 10:44am by Angie Senger
I have spent every Friday night in the hospital with Amanda since she was admitted on April 9th.  I love this special time that we spend together and I'm pretty she does as well.
Friday afternoon I called her on my lunch break to see what she what the plan was for this sleepover.  I was amazed that we were planning the same girlie night!  Pizza Luce Spanish Chicken Pizza and watching all of the episodes of Vampire Diaries that we have missed since this whole leukemia battle began.
This Friday was low key compared to the other Fridays.  Normally, Amanda tries her darnedest to stay up as late as possible.  She wants to make sure we get in our chat time.  She has even kept me up past two am on some Fridays!  Last night she was tired and we were in bed by 11:30 pm - which is still a late night party for the oncology floor.
Last night we enjoyed each other's company, relaxed, and watched Vampire Diaries (that may or may not have been as good without our favorite bottle of wine, le Grand Noir! :))
Manda didn't have the most restful sleep.  Painful side effects of the chemo kept her dreams at bay.  What was very ironic to me what that her most common complaint was not the chemo, poking, or other serious medical invasion...it was the damn blood pressure cuff!  She hates how tight it is!  Every time her vitals are taken, every 2 hours, she very vocally complains about how tightness of the cuff.
I mentioned this to one of her favorite nurses, Polly.  Polly and I laughed.  We both found it funny that the only thing that Manda outwardly complains about is the cuff...through all of this hard and horrible medical treatment...
I guess this showed me the nature of my best friend, true kindness and sweetness.  This is why I love her so very much.  It isn't a wonder to me at all that the nurses fight over caring for her when their new shift starts!  I understand why, she is an amazing presence; even in the hardest of the hard that life can throw can't break her spirit.
It is a rainy and all around yucky Saturday morning.  This is a fantastic day for Amanda to sleep away the pain.  Sweet dreams, darlin’!  Hope tomorrow is a better day! JLove you bunches! - Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment